Other places to stay in and around Aberfeldy
Places to stay
Aberfeldy - Kenmore - Fearnan - Glenlyon & Fortingall
Hotels and Inns
Bed & Breakfast Guesthouses
Cottages and Self Catering
Of Murthly Cottages
Perthshire and the Upper Tay Valley have been a well kept secret for decades.
Enjoy almost every style of holiday in this beautiful countryside.
They offer 5, very different, 2 and 3 bedroomed self catering holiday
cottages, friendly and family run, renovated to the highest standards.
All south facing with views across the valley, beside historic Castle
Each cottage is independent and apart, has its own individual
character, and its own private garden.
All cottages are stone built, 3 have open fires, all are centrally heated,
with modern kitchen facilities.
Castle Menzies Home Farm Cottages Accommodation
All tastefully and brightly furnished, with oil fired central heating,
compact and cosy.
You have a choice of 5, very different, two and three
bedroomed self catering holiday cottages, all centrally heated and renovated
to the very highest standards.
· All south facing looking out across the Upper Tay valley.
· Each one is unique, has its own character and its own warmth
· They are all separate and apart, have their own private gardens,
and all are situated on separate uniquely different areas on our family
· They are all secluded but easily accessible.
· Make a choice of one from five to suit your personal taste or
your family circumstances.
Choose between traditional Garden House, open plan living
in West Lodge, Castle Kennels and Middle Lodge, or Keepers
cottage with 3 bedroom suites - all en suite, in 17 acres of
garden grounds to enjoy.
The cottages consist of:
Sleeps 6 - 3 double
This luxurious cottage is a new addition at the very top end of our range.
It sits in its own grounds beside Farleyer Lodge.
‘The Keepers’ was built to the highest standards in the grounds
of Farleyer Lodge in 1998.
Accommodation comprises three commodious bedroom suites two on the first
floor and one on the ground floor.
All the bedrooms are double, and can be either kingsize/double or twin,
and all have ample sitting area with easy chairs, and TV in each.
The bathrooms have both showers and bath, and the open plan living area
has fully equipped modern kitchen facilities.
All the interiors fittings and appointments in the house are to the highest
Strictly NO DOGS.
The Garden House:
Sleeps 6 - 1 twin, 2 double
Garden House is a delightful traditional stone-built house, nestling below
Weem Rock and beside the Old Walled Garden close to Castle Menzies.
Formerly the home of the Castle Menzies Estate's head gardener, it is
a very comfortable family house, with oil-fired central heating throughout.
The cottage is situated half a mile from the picturesque village of Weem
and 1.5 miles from the town of Aberfeldy on B846.
Holidaymakers return year after year to enjoy the birdsong, the open garden
area where deer graze in the evening and the tranquility.
Appointed to a very high standard the cottage comprises:
• Dining Room with open log/coal fire. Freeview TV , Coin operated
• Sitting room with log/coal fire, Sky Freeview TV
• Modern fully-equipped kitchen with dishwasher, washing machine,
tumble- dryer, microwave etc.
• Shower Room and WC
• 2 x Double bedrooms
• 1 x Twin Bedroom
The middle house:
Sleeps 6 - 1 double downstairs, 1 double & 1 twin upstairs
Middle Lodge, sitting well back from the public road, midway between Garden
House and West Lodge was once the Head Keeper's house.
Access is bythe B846 from Aberfeldy & Weem, through the Castle Menzies
entrance, past the castle front door along the old driveway to Middle
It has an ideal situation with superb views across the valley, and nestling
in at the edge of the valley floor and is a real suntrap in good weather.
The cottage has 2 double bedrooms, and bathroom (with bath) upstairs,
and 1double bedroom, bathroom (with shower) and open plan living/kitchen
and dining area with patio window downstairs.
It is spacious, bright and with every modern convenience in a brand new
kitchen area. The open plan living area has, additionally, a cheery open
fire for the autumn and winter months.
Sleeps 4 -1 double, 1 twin
West Lodge is one of the original gate lodges for Castle Menzies. It is
a cosy stone-built single-story cottage, with oil-fired central heating
Situated 200 metres west of Castle Menzies Home Farm and the House of
Menzies, 2 miles west of Aberfeldy the cottage is just off the B846, and
has splendid views of Castle Menzies and south across the Tay Valley.
Renovated to a high standard it comprises:
· Open-plan living area with beech hardwood flooring
· Open fireplace
· Dining area beside south-facing patio window
· 1 x Double bedroom with en suite bathroom (with shower)
· 1 x Twin bedroom with en suite bathroom (with bath)
· Modern fully-equipped kitchen with dishwasher, washing machine,
dryer, microwave etc.
· Sky Freeview TV
· Private Garden with ample parking
Sleeps 4 - 1 twin, 1 double
Why not holiday in the doghouse!
Castle Kennels is a charming little conversion of the original dog kennels
for Castle Menzies.
Situated 200 yards from the Castle, and with its own direct entrance some
150yds off the B846, in an open but secluded area, in its own delightful
little garden, with superb uninterrupted views across the Tay valley.
It has a delightful stone fenced patio on the southern frontage, enclosed
and sheltered by the low wall and railings of the original dog run.
The accommodation comprises an open plan living area, with two bedrooms
Pets welcome. We are happy to take one well-behaved pet at all our properties
except Keepers. Two dogs may be allowed after discussion with Margaret
Each pet is charged at a price of £20.00 per week or part thereof.
Castle Menzies and Aberfeldy have numerous lovely woodland and riverside
walkways, just perfect for dog walking, right on the doorstep of all the
Aberfeldy is our local small market town and the heart of all
that goes on in the Upper Tay Valley.
It is indeed the geographical Heart of Scotland, and is, therefore, an
ideal base for those who wish to make it a centre for touring.
Both Edinburgh and Glasgow are about one and a half hours drive away.
Aberfeldy is the original old market town for Highland Perthshire and
serves a widely scattered rural population.
Aberfeldy and the valley have been for centuries, as well as the homes
of the traditional Highland Clan chiefs, a haven for well known and famous
people who have made their fortune.
They have acquired secluded and beautiful estates and houses to have
as their Highland hideaways. From the top of Glenlyon, Scotland’s
longest glen to the A9, the chieftains of Clan Menzies, and Clan Campbell,
ruled the area. Latterly families like the Wills of tobacco fame, Sir
Donald Currie the shipping magnate, Nairns of the linoleum empire, have
lived in the area, and now of course J K Rowlings author of the 'Harry
Potter' series, has her holiday home at Killiechassie just 1 mile along
the road from Castle Menzies.
Local Shopping in and around Aberfeldy:
- There are a variety of good shops, including those specialising in tweeds
(made in the town's tweed mill), tartans and crafts.
- Several good coffee shops and small restaurants.
- The House of Menzies – Our own Farm Diversification.
- Coffees, Lunches, table licence.
- New World Wines.
- Scottish Fayre, Jams, Chutneys, Honey, Biscuits, Salmon, Venison. Scottish
arts, crafts, pottery, paintings.
- Breadalbane Bakery, Dunkeld Street (All baking done on the premises)
*(Go early in the day!)* Wholemeal Brown Bread, Rolls, Scones, Cakes.
- Farmfresh, Dunkeld Street
- Delicatessen, Fresh Fruit, Veg, Cheese, Fish.
- Aberfeldy Butchers, Bank Street
- Butcher Meat, Fresh Fish, Haggis.
- Dow's, Dunkeld Street
- Superb Home-made Supper/lunch Dishes – Oven Ready.
- Organic Produce.
- Groceries (Supermarkets).
- Spar in Aberfeldy P.O. Dunkeld St. (Open all hours)
- Co-op, Supermarket,The Square, Aberfeldy.
- Clothing and Outdoor Wear
- Doig & Sons, Bank Street.
- Munro’s Specialist mountaineering, clothing & equipment.
- Rogues Family Footwear. The Square.
- Scallywags, The Square. Children’s toys & clothes.
- Traditional Outdoor Wear, Tweeds and Tartans
- P & J Haggart (By Appointment to HM). Country clothing and tweed
manufacturers. Woven in their tweed mill in the town.
- Bank Street
- Tourist Information Centre(TIC) In The Square.
Golf, fishing walking and many other outdoor and cultural pursuits available
Email Castle Menzies Home Farm Cottages enquiries & reservations: