How to get to Mozambique

Directions, distances and information on getting to Mozambique Mozambique. If there are flights available to Mozambique links to flight schedule to Mozambique. Also links for accommodation in Mozambique Mozambique.

LAM Flights to Mozambique

Pelican Air
to Mozambique

Mozambique Travel Guide to Accommodation

» Maputo

» Ponta do Ouro

» Inhambane

» Tofo

» Barra

» Guinjata Bay

» Linga Linga

» Pomene & Morrungulo

» Mozambique Islands

» Bazaruto Islands

» Quirimbas Islands

» Inhaca Island

» Mozambique Island

» Nacala

» Pemba

» Vilanculos (Vilankulo)

» Gorongosa

» Cahorra Bassa Dam

» Niassa (Remote North)

» Xai Xai

» Bilene

» Parc de Limpopo

Mozambique Essential
Travel Information

» Weather

» Map

» Flag

» Currency

» Time

» Language

» Electricity

» Visas

» Food

» History & Culture

Useful Information

» Choosing your African

» African Safari Essentials

» Choosing the Right
   Diving Holiday

» RIB Boat launch

» Safe Diving

Getting to Mozambique Mozambique


Flights to Mozambique

Click where you wish to fly to:
Maputo | Inhambane | Tofo | Barra Beach | Vilanculos | Pemba | Nampula | Quelimane | Tete | Beira


Driving Distances and routes

Click where you need directions for:
Maputo | Xai Xai | Inhambane | Tofo | Barra Beach | Pomene | Chidenguele | Vilanculos |

Visas and Entry Requirements for Mozambique

All visitors need a current passport with a minimum of 6 months validity. Visa’s are required by most countries (South Africa being the main exception), these can be obtained in advance at a Mozambique embassy, Tourist Visa's can be obtained at most entry borders. Please consult your booking agent or contact us for up to date information.

All visitors require a passport, valid for 3 months with two clear pages.

Visa’s are required for most countries and are available at all entry airports:
Maputo, Inhambane, Vilankulo and Pemba
and at the following border posts:
Kosi Bay, Renao Garcia (Komatipoort) – From South Africa
Milange, Zobue – from Malawi
Kotwa, Mtare – from Zimbabwe
Fee at these border posts and airports is currently US$25 per passport and can be paid in US$, South African Rand and Mozambique Mets – Currently Euros and GB Pound are not accepted.
For other borders at the moment it is best to get a visa beforehand from a local embassy. These vary according to nationality from US$25 to US$100 and requirements vary from embassy to embassy.
Passport holders from South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia and Botswana no longer need visa’s and will be granted a 30 day stay at point of arrival (Admin fee R17 per passport)

South African Border Crossing Essentials:

1. Passport and Visas
South African passport holders resident to South Africa do not require a visa to visit Namibia,
Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Lesotho and Swaziland. However, should you be travelling
with an emergency travel document, other than your South African passport, for one or other
reason you will require a visa to enter Botswana. Visa applications can be made to the Botswana
Consulate in Braamfontein: TEL +27(0) 11 403 3748

2. Driver's License
The South African driver's license is recognised in Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique,
Lesotho and Swaziland.

3. International Driver's Permit
Although not compulsory this is recommended for everyone driving in foreign countries.

4. ZA Sticker
If you’re travelling from South Africa across borders vehicles should bear a ZA sticker which
designates that they are foreign vehicles from South Africa. AA Accredited Sales Agent stores and
outdoor retailers like Safari Centre will have them available for purchase.

5. White and Red Reflective Tape
In Zimbabwe - two small white rectangular size strips on the right and left hand side of the front
bumper, as well as two small red square strips on the right and left hand side of the rear bumper
is required. If towing a trailer, two small red square strips on the right and left hand side of the
rear bumper are required.

6. Yellow and Blue Mozambique Warning Triangle
In Mozambique a set of two yellow and blue warning triangle stickers are required if towing a
trailer; one in the front of the vehicle (on the bumper) and one on the rear of the trailer.

7. Vehicle Registration/Vehicle License Papers
A certified copy of vehicle registration/vehicle lisense papers is acceptable at the border posts.
Must be accompanied with a letter from the bank giving you authorisation to take the vehicle
across the border, and must indicate dates. Both the bank letter and license papers should be
signed by a Commissioner of Oaths. If you are not the registered owner of the vehicle, please
carry an affidavit from the police giving you authorisation from the financial institution/owner to
take the vehicle abroad.

8. Police Clearance Certificate
A Police Clearance Certificate may be required if travelling through the Chirundu Border Post of
Zimbabwe, both for vehicles and trailers

9 . Letter of authority
If you are travelling in a rented car or 4x4 across borders, you have to have a letter from the
rental company giving you permission to take the vehicle out of the country. You do not need
police clearance for this.

Quick Border Post Tips:
Border posts can be daunting, confusing and may even frustrate you but no worries, follow these
tips and you will sail on through with no problems.

1. Make a folder for all your important documents to prevent unnecessary loss and stress.

2. Get all your documents in order ready to hand in to the border official.

3. Be patient and smile – always be polite and co-operate, this will help make the procedure go
smoothly without annoying the person who has the power to give you access.

4. Ask for the maximum amount of days possible – you could end up stuck in the middle of
nowhere with a flat tyre and not be able to return in time.

5. Don’t overstay your time; this will lead to problems at the border when trying to leave.

6. Make sure your passport has enough empty pages for the necessary stamps.

7. Keep a few pens with you, there are never enough at the border posts, it will help you fill out
the paperwork faster without having to wait.Now go enjoy your travels on the roads of Africa!


Unabridged Birth Certificate for children under 18

From 1 June 2015, the Department of Home Affairs in South Africa will require all passengers under 18 to travel with an Unabridged Birth Certificate.

What is it?
A new immigration law is coming into effect on 1 June 2015.
Under the new law, all minors under the age of 18 years will be required to produce, in addition to their passport, an Unabridged Birth Certificate (showing the particulars of both parents) when exiting and entering South African ports of entry.

Why is it happening?
This is being done to curb human trafficking. According to the Department of Home Affairs, 30 000 minors are trafficked through South African borders every year. 50% of these minors are under the age of 14.
When the new immigration regulation comes into effect on 1 June, it will be the responsibility of passengers to ensure their children have the correct documentation or risk being denied boarding. The new law will be enforced by airlines and immigration officials across the board (land, sea and air). Although airlines and travel agents are doing everything to keep passengers informed, ultimately it will be passengers’ responsibility to know what is required of them.

In all cases an Unabridged Birth Certificate will be required for minors departing and arriving in South Africa ... they will not be allowed to travel without it. In cases where the Unabridged Birth Certificate is in a language other than English, it must be accompanied by a sworn translation issued by a competent authority in the country concerned.

Children travelling with only one parent
When a child travels with only one parent, additional documents should include an affidavit in which the absent parent gives consent for the child to travel, a court order granting full parental responsibilities or legal guardianship of the child, or the death certificate of the absent parent. The affidavit should be no more than 3 months old from date of travel.

Children travelling without either parent
In the case of a child travelling with a person other than a parent, the Unabridged Birth Certificate must be supplemented by affidavits from the parents or legal guardians confirming that the child may travel with that person, copies of the ID documents or passports of the parents or legal guardian, and the contact details of the parents or legal guardian.

Similarly, a child travelling as an unaccompanied minor would have to produce not only the Unabridged Birth Certificate, but also proof of consent from both parents or legal guardians and contact details, plus documentation relating to the person receiving the child in South Africa. The latter documentation should include a letter stating the person’s contact details and residential address, contact details where the child will be residing, plus a copy of his or her ID document, passport or residence permit.

Application process for Unabridged Birth Certificates
· Apply at your nearest Home Affairs office where your Biometric information will be verified.
· Take your ID book along, as well as your child's ID number.
· All documents submitted must be originals or certified copies.
· The Unabridged Birth Certificate costs R75.
· It can take up to 8 weeks to acquire an Unabridged Birth Certificate from the date of application.

Since last year, Unabridged Birth Certificates have been issued automatically for newborns. If your infant was born after 14 March 2013, you should be in possession of a UBC.

Certified copies of documents are usually valid for 6 months only.

Don't delay applying for Unabridged Birth Certificates as the time frame for obtaining the documentation varies greatly, from a few weeks to several months. Minors travelling in school groups or with their grandparents are not exempt from the requirement.

Who is exempt?
· The new law does not apply to children travelling domestically (E.g. Between Johannesburg and Cape Town).
· Minor passengers on a 'Cruise to Nowhere'. For example a cruise that departs Durban Harbour and returns to Durban Harbour, or a cruise that goes from Durban Harbour to Cape Town Harbour.

Important contacts:
Department of Home Affairs toll free hotline: 0800 60 11 90

Quick guide to the new requirements
• When leaving South Africa with children, parents or guardians must be able to
produce unabridged birth certificates reflecting the details of both parents, as
well as a valid passport for each child.

• This requirement applies even when both parents are travelling with their

• It applies to foreigners and South Africans alike.

• If children are travelling with a guardian, this adult is required to produce
affidavits from both parents giving permission for the children to travel. They
will also need copies of the passports of the parents, as well as the contact
details of the parents.

• If children are travelling with only one parent, they must produce an
unabridged birth certificate as well as:

• a court order granting full parental responsibilities and rights or legal
guardianship in respect of the child, if he or she is the parent or legal
guardian of the child;

• an affidavit from the other parent granting permission for the child to
leave the country;

• a court order granting full parental responsibilities and rights or legal
guardianship in respect of the child; and

• if applicable, the death certificate of the other parent registered on the
birth certificate.

• When a child is travelling as an unaccompanied minor, he or she must be able
to produce:

• proof of consent (a letter or affidavit) from both his or her parents or
legal guardians to travel in or out of the country; and

• a letter from the person who will receive the child in South Africa,
including that person's full contact details and a copy of their passport
or ID book. The letter must also include details about where the child
will be staying, and full contact details of both parents or legal

Read more:


Following the announcement of the new regulation put into place by the Ministry of Home
Affairs regarding travelling with children in and out of South Africa, please take urgent note of
the below summary and the extract from the Publication of the Draft Immigration Regulations
2014 in regard to documentation required when travelling with children under 18 years.
New travel regulations relating to travel with children

- Both parents travelling with child(ren) under the age of 18 years have to produce a
full/unabridged birth certificate for the child(ren) (both parents’ details must be on the birth

- One parent travelling with child(ren) must have consent from other parent in the form of an
affidavit or custody agreement confirming permission to travel with child(ren)

- One parent travelling with child(ren) and other parent passed away, must produce death
certificate of deceased parent.

- Guardians travelling with child(ren) must provide affidavits from parents giving permission
for child(ren) to travel

Failing to provide these documents will result in being denied entry.

New entry, exit and visa requirements for South Africa
- Passport must be valid for at least 30 day after intended date of departure from South Africa

- Passport must have two blank ‘visa’ pages (please note that blank ‘endorsement’ pages will
not suffice)

- Visitors to South Africa for tourism, short business meetings or transit: no visa needed for up
to 90 days. No extension available on tourism visas.

- All other travellers need visas (incl. academics, students on educational trips, entrepreneurs,
workers and volunteers). Must apply in person in country of ordinary residence or citizenship.

- A change of visitor visa status is not possible while in South Africa, so visitors intending to
work in South Africa must apply for work visas before arrival in South Africa.

- Overstaying a visa expiry date can result in being declared undesirable and being barred
from entering South Africa for a specific period of time.

Questions relating to any of these changes should be directed to the South African Department of Home Affairs.

What papers do you need for your vehicle ?

  • Vehicle ownership documents -
  • If the vehicle is on hire purchase / bank loan you will also need a letter from the bank giving permission to cross the border.
  • Also if the vehicle is not yours you will need a letter of authorization from the owner saying you have their permission to take it into Mozambique.
  • A valid drivers license is also required.
  • All people crossing the border need valid passport.
  • Insurance is required in Mozambique - if your current insurance covers Mozambique you must get a letter from the insurance company on official papers clearly stating that minimum of third party insurance is covered, it must show the vehicle registration and the country 'Mozambique' - not 'covers all SADC' or 'Southern Africa'.
    Temporary 30 day insurance cover is available at the Mozambique border and cost R150 (payable in cash only) we recommend Hollard Insurance.

Crossing the Komatipoort border

procedure and directions
Approaching from the South African Side

Tips: take a pen in with you, fill in the forms they give you (as outlined below) and only show other paperwork if requested - do not hand them all the vehicle papers!

  • You drive up to the border on the EN4, at the border keep to the left and follow the road until you come to a building to your right, find a place to park.
  • Go into the first door and on the right as you face the desks there will be a vehicle counter, go to this window and ask for a T. I. P. they will hand you an A4 size form in two parts (this is the temporary vehicle export document), and also a smaller piece of paper (this is to hand to the South African police as you exit the border).
  • Take them to the counter behind you to fill in, on the A4 sheet you will need to fill in drivers details, engine number, vehicle registration number and a few other details and to sign. On the small bit of paper you need to fill in vehicle registration number, number of passengers and engine number.
  • Take them back to the the vehicle counter, they will stamp them both and give you them back.
  • Then go with your passport down to the next desk and get your passport stamped and the small slip of paper stamped again.
  • Then back to your vehicle, drive straight on past the building, at the end there should be a Policeman to to take the small slip of paper and wave you out of South Africa !
    Keep the vehicle document - you must keep this safe as you need it to return the vehicle back into SA on your return !!

Now you drive a few hundred metres before arriving at the Mozambique border
Mozambique border:

  • As you approach you may notice a Mozambique border officer in the road, he/she will be writing your registration on a border form then will ask how many people in the vehicle and will then give you the form.
  • Carry on up the hill. Often there is a long queue of trucks, go around them (often you need to go on the wrong side of the road avoiding on coming traffic!), at the top you will see several cabins on the left (selling insurance) and the customs / passport building is on your right.
  • Park up and take in your passports, SA vehicle import document and some Rand cash (preferably small notes and coins as they rarely have change..) and a pen.
  • As you enter the Mozambique border building go over to the left where there is a ' vehiculer desk' there is a similar process to the SA side they will give you a two sheet A4 document with a piece of carbon.
  • Take it away fill it in (making sure the carbon works and is clear on the bottom sheet)
  • Then take it back to the desk and they will stamp it return half to you and demand R12 (they may ask to see the SA vehicle import document or not).
  • Then off to passport control, first the Cash (caixa) where you will pay the R17 get a receipt then on to the next window to get stamped in also they will stamp the small piece of paper given to you as you entered the border.
  • Make sure you have an entry stamp as no-one else will check until you leave the country and then they will fine you if you don't!!
  • Outside you will need to find a customs official (light blue uniform)
    Tip - always select one wearing a name tag the customs people are generally milling around the car park, you go up to one show them the small piece of paper and point to your vehicle, they will then wander up ask to look inside ask some questions (level of inspection depends on official/ how busy they are/day of the week/wind and goodness knows what) when finished they will sign the piece of paper and give it back to you.
  • Before you leave the border you will need insurance (unless the vehicle has insurance already that clearly states that Mozambique is covered in writing) and is in your name. If you need insurance go to one of the cabins on the left (we use Hollard insurance as they are reliable and honest) go into the hut they will need some information will write out a 30 day insurance note for your vehicle (check they get the vehicle registration correct) and will charge R150.
  • Now you can leave the border, drive straight down the road (dodging officials, wandering people, dazed looking tourists and randomly parked cars), at the end you should be stopped by a police official who will take the small piece of paper and make sure it is stamped by passport and customs then wave you on into Mozambique.

Check you are leaving the border with the following:
1/ Drivers license
2/ Vehicle ownership documents and letters of permission
3/ SA vehicle export document
4/ Mozambique vehicle import document
5/ Valid insurance for Mozambique
6/ Everybody's passport with an entry stamp to Mozambique.

Traffic police may stop you and can ask for any of these documents, if / when they do just show them and smile, but don't leave until they have given them back to you !

Keep to the speed limits as they are very keen on speed traps along the main road to Maputo, around Maputo and especially on the main road north.

Mozambique Toll Stations
These can be paid in Rand, US$ or Mozambique Meticais
Please note Garage cards, debit cards and credit cards are NOT accepted at Toll stations
There are not many toll routes in Mozambique the main two are on the road between Komatipoort and Maputo.

Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique
Xai Xai, Quissico, Mozambique