Getting to Inhambane Mozambique
Flights to Inhambane
LAM fly to Inhambane from Johannesburg on Monday, Wednesday and
Friday see flight schedule and
Papers needed and border
procedure for taking vehicles across the border into Mozambique
Driving to Inhambane
- From South Africa take the N4 via Nelspruit to the Komatipoort border
- There is now a good tar road all the way into Maputo from the South
African Border at Komatipoort, there is a toll half way between the
border and Maputo.
- Just keep on the EN4 until you arrive on the outskirts of Maputo where
there EN4 takes one left turn,
- Follow the EN4 around the outskirts of Maputo city until the next
- Go through the toll and take the next road off to the left - signed
'Xai Xai EN1', this is the main road north.
- The EN1 continues to wends its way around Maputo at all robots, lights,
junctions, circles and roundabouts keep straight on - stay on the EN1
all the way until you reach Xai Xai
- Carry on through Xai Xai (refuelling is a good idea) and stay on the
- Pass through all the towns and villages (slowing to the speed limit
and looking out for speed traps).
- Approx 225km north of Xai Xai you will arrive at a small village called
'Lindela' take the turning to the right down to Inhambane (also goes
to Guinjata, Barra and Tofo) there are several lodge signboards on this
Generally the tar road from Lindela to Inhambane is in a bumpy potholed/partly
refilled potholed road.
- Follow the road into Inhambane (about 36km) town until you get the
port buildings on your left (there are also some seats and canons on
the left overlooking Inhambane Bay) and a broad road going up to the
right, take the road to the right
- Welcome To Inhambane
Nearest fuel and shops Inhambane
Fuel Stops - these places normally have all fuel types
and supply clean fuel.
Komatipoort SA (fuel is generally more expensive in Mozambique
than South Africa)
Maputo - just before the second toll station is a good
fuel station - toilets sometimes clean
Xai Xai - good place to fill up - slightly more expensive
than Maputo and from here northwards fuel prices jump up ! three stations
in town and two on the road north out of town.
Also there is 3 ATMs in Xai Xai - accepting most Visa/MasterCards and
debit cards, good place to get some local currency.
Inhambane Two fuel stations in Inhambane (both off the
main street) normally 20% more expensive than Maputo
Maxixe Several stations dotted along the main road through Maxixe,
generally a fraction cheaper than Inhambane but still 15% more than Maputo
Vilanculos Two fuel stations on the EN1 just before you turn
off to Vilanculos, both run on generator so allow time for the staff to
turn it on to pump fuel, prices usually 30% more then Maputo. One fuel
station in Vilanculos itself, more expensive then the ones up on the main
road and runs out of fuel quite often !
Other places along the EN1 where fuel can be available but not
Johannesburg to Barra Beach 1083km
Johannesburg to Nelspruit 350km
Nelspruit to Komatipoort border 95km - EN4 road
Komatipoort border to Maputo 95km - EN4 road - two tolls
Maputo to Xai Xai 249km - EN1 road
Xai Xai to Lindela 225km - EN1 road
Lindela to Inhambane 36km
Mozambique Toll Stations
These can be paid in Rand, US$ or Mozambique Meticais.
Please note Garage cards, debit cards and credit cards are
NOT accepted at Toll stations
There are not many toll routes in Mozambique the main two are on the road
between Komatipoort and Maputo.